Press ‘play’ above to hear the conversation and scroll down to see the paintings
Reg Mombassa, also known as Chris O’Doherty, has been exhibiting his paintings and drawings at Sydney’s Watters Gallery, nationally and internationally for over 40 years. In 2007 there was a major survey of his work at the SH Ervin Gallery in Sydney.
He is also one of the leaders of a group of artists which created designs for the Mambo surf clothing label in the 80s and 90s. A recent documentary aired on the ABC in Australia looked at those artists and their influential and anti authoritatrian approach.
But of course Mombassa is renowned not only as an artist but also a musician. In 1976 he founded the iconic Australian band Mental as Anything with fellow art student Martin Plaza and in 1990 he formed his band Dog Trumpet with his brother Peter O’Doherty. The music in the introduction to this episode is from the song ‘Made in the World’ from their album Medicated Spirits.
Mombassa has also had a creative input into major public events such as the Sydney Olympics closing ceremony and Sydney New Year’s Eve celebrations and has won awards for his poster and album cover works.
His paintings are held in major Australian art institutions including the National Portrait Gallery and the Art Gallery of NSW.
Upcoming shows and events
- Upcoming Dog Trumpet gigs can be found here
- Port Fairy Folk Festival 10-13 March 2017, Port Fairy, Victoria
- Blue Mountains Music Festival , 17-19 March 2017, Blue Mountains NSW
- Solo show at Watters gallery, 14 June – 1 July 2017, East Sydney, NSW
Links to people and things we talk about in the show
- Reg Mombassa (Chris O’Doherty)
- ‘Made in the World’ – YouTube
- Watters Gallery
- Claudia O’Doherty
- National Art School
- Neil Evans
- Martin Plaza
- Mental as Anything
- Peter O’Doherty
- Dog Trumpet
- Mambo: Art Irritates Life
- Mambo Graphics
- National Portrait Gallery
- Art Gallery of NSW
- Patrick White
- The Landscapes of Reg Mombassa – Antipodean Scenery: Views from the eyes of a car
- Reg Mombassa’s miniature paintings on the Talking with Painters YouTube Channel
- Reg Mombassa’s sketchbooks on the Talking with Painters YouTube Channel