He only started painting about 18 months ago, but Jordy Kerwick has caught the attention of art dealers and curators across the world.
As this episode goes online, his first solo show opens at Lindberg Galleries, in Melbourne, Australia. His next will be in New York’s Anna Zorina Gallery and will be followed by another five group shows which are coming up in Europe and the US.
Kerwick attributes part of his success to the power of Instagram, where he has a substantial following – and it’s growing daily. It’s there that he’s connected and made friends with other artists which has fuelled his love of painting with the exchange of images and ideas.
But just a glance at his work is enough to see why he is in such hot demand. His mark making, brushstroke and use of colour create an emotion and vibrancy which has drawn in his followers.
Hear in this conversation how Kerwick’s wife Rachael was a major influence in his taking up painting, how his sons inspire him both in his art and in his life, and how music and Instagram have played a role in making him one of Australia’s most exciting emerging artists.
To hear the podcast conversation with Jordy Kerwick and Maria Stoljar press ‘Play’ above and scroll down to see the works we talk about on the show. Photos courtesy of the artist and Lindberg Galleries
Upcoming solo shows
- Solo show at Lindberg Galleries, ‘4th Time Around’, Melbourne, from 6 to 22 July 2017
- Solo show at Anna Zorina Gallery, New York, date TBA
Links to things and people we talk about on the show
- Jordy Kerwick at Lindberg Galleries
- Jordy Kerwick at Anna Zorina Gallery
- Jordy Kerwick on Instagram
- Heide Museum of Modern Art
- John and Sunday Reed
- Sidney Nolan
- Arthur Boyd
- Rhys Lee on Instagram
- Henri Matisse
- Andrew Salgado on Instagram
- Cy Twombly
- Adam Lee on Instagram
- Justin Williams on Instagram
- Ina Gerken on Instagram
- Video: Jordy Kerwick shows Maria Stoljar his recent work on the Talking with Painters YouTube channel